Thursday, August 9, 2012

There's a roof...almost!

I can't believe how fast things are progressing. Just two weeks ago they were pouring the footers. And now they are towards the end of the framing. They are scheduling settlement for the end of September or beginning of October. I'm hoping that maybe it will be sooner. I don't know much about building a house but things are progressing quite fast. I ventured into the house on Saturday to show my family. My first time in my house and I was caught by the SR. She was cool about it, said her standard phrase "you know you shouldn't be here....but you are going to do it anyway...just be safe".  I went in there again yesterday and there was junk food wrappers and soda cans just laying around inside the house. I know they will clean up when they are finished the job but I just felt it was a little disrespectful. I wouldn't go to someone else's house and leave my junk food trash around, I would like the same respect.


This is obviously the back of the house. I don't know if this is normal but I would think the top and bottom windows should be more centered. Should I inquire about that or is it normal?


This is the side of the house. I added the option for two extra windows on side of the house. However, with a fireplace you only get one extra window. I'm not sure why I'm paying for two extra windows (per the floor plan) but only get one because of the fireplace. It's not necessarily a big deal but I would have decided against the window if I was only getting one. I liked how the two looked on the floor plan with the spacing. However, I guess one window is better than none. I believe in natural light. 


This is the front of the house. It's elevation B. I didn't necessarily choose the elevation. The elevation came with the lot I chose. I'm not sure if this is standard with all town houses. I guess if I didn't like the elevation I would have to pick another lot? I'm not sure on that. It wasn't a big deal for me, so I never inquired anymore about it. I happened to like the elevation that was already decided for my lot. 

I took a picture of this stud in the garage (see arrow). It seems a little "bent". Is that normal? Will it be a problem later? I'm debating if I should bring it to the attention of the PM.


2 comments:

  1. Progress looks great! My understanding (as a non-expert) is that a mangled stud or two on a non-load-bearing wall isn't a huge deal. That said, point it out to your PM. They do seem to be really good about double checking the framing and fixing or reinforcing any wonkiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent him a nice email with the photo attached just to point it out. It doesn't seem like it could be a problem. But I don't want to set a precedent that I'm complacent with shoddy work.

      Delete